Editor’s note: We updated this article on 9/15/20 in an effort to talk about senior living marketing events in the time of COVID-19.
Senior living marketing events can typically go one of two ways. First, well-planned and executed events can generate qualified leads, re-engage existing leads, and create opportunities to develop new professional contacts and nurture existing relationships.
On the other hand, poorly executed events can be a big waste of time and money. Add in a pandemic, and event marketing becomes even more complex!
Don’t worry. We got you covered. Here are some fresh event ideas, most of which you can adapt in a “virtual” way. Popular options include Zoom and Facebook Live. In fact, we’ve written an in-depth post on how to effectively use Facebook Live during COVID-19…and beyond.
Senior Living Marketing Events: Show That You Are An Expert & a Resource
Educational senior living marketing events will help position you as a trusted advisor and valued resource. Below are some topics and themes to consider.
- Author Visit. Many authors are doing virtual book tours right now. You can either host or simply promote a popular author’s upcoming virtual book tour. For in-person events, the author can speak and bring books for purchase and signing.
- Downsizing/ Transitions. Invite real estate pros and downsizing experts. Hold a panel discussion in person or via Zoom/Facebook Live.
- Financial Solutions Same idea as above. Your community hosts the experts in person or virtually. Think VA benefits, life insurance conversion, and long term care.
- Legal Issues/ Financial Planning Topics. Ditto.
- Memory Care Topics. Ditto. Think brain fitness, education, research, driving, and dementia.
- Support Groups. Ideas include: caregiver support groups, Alzheimer’s, men’s groups, bereavement groups, etc.
- Continuing Education Units (CEUs). Do this at your community, or bring your program to a local hospital or skilled nursing facility.
Senior Living Marketing Events: Be Social & Show Your Fun Side
Some of the senior living events below work better “in person.” But many can be adapted to a virtual environment. We’ve marked those with asterisks.
- Art classes. *This can be a GREAT thing to do virtually. The teacher demonstrates via ZOOM, and people follow along/participate at home.
- Fitness classes. *Same idea. The teacher conducts the fitness class via Zoom, and people can take part from home.
- Networking. Think breakfasts, lunch, cocktail receptions, martini mixer etc.
- Dash & Dine. Stop by for a tour or event, and take home dinner on us!
- Spa Night. *For a virtual component, perhaps offer a virtual “series” on nail care or how to trim your own hair.
- Brunch. Ideas include champagne, jazz, holiday, Mother/Father’s Day.
- Senior/Senior Prom with local high school (Star Dust Prom).
- Holiday/ Special Day Socials / BBQs. Think of all the possibilities: Valentine’s Day, Saint Patrick’s Day, Mother/ Father’s/ Grandparent’s Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Veteran’s Day, Thanksgiving.
- Chef demonstrations & duels and contests. *Another great option for Facebook Live. Think of how many people love watching reality cooking shows!
- Fashion Show. Collaborate with a local store and use staff, residents, family, or professionals as models. *Again, a version of this could be transitioned online.
- Comedienne. Professionals need to have fun after work. *So many comics are sharing free clips right now on YouTube. Compile a bunch and share with your contacts.
- Reading or one act play by local theater group
Senior Living Marketing Events: Grass Roots & Community
- Host spiritual groups. Think Parish Nurses, Stephens Ministry, Non Denominational meeting of Rabbi’s, Pastors, Priests etc.
- Host seniors groups. Think Red Hat Society, Senior Centers & Groups.
- Host art shows for local schools/ artists or resident art
- Host piano recitals for local teachers if you have a piano
- Dinner & a movie if you have a theater
- Sponsor a community yard sale
- Host fundraisers. More and more of these are happening online, such as virtual walks/races.
- Sponsor a community health fair with free screenings
- Host community group car wash
- Host a variety/ talent show
- Wreath/ Miniature Tree decorating – referral sources & families buy a wreath or tree and decorate it (usually with a theme) and raffle them off for charity at a social event.
Reminder, we’ve helped our clients successfully “pivot” during the pandemic.
In fact, we never missed a beat since we’re a virtual marketing agency. As a result, most of our clients didn’t either. WE CAN HELP YOU. Please don’t hesitate to reach out and take advantage of our free 30-minute brainstorming session. We can help you come up with effective senior living marketing events that will work now.
Market Better During COVID-19!
Access our free resources! Includes tips on senior living events and more. Get started here.