Lead Generation Ideas for Senior Living: Revisit Cold Prospects
When it comes to lead generation ideas for senior living, everyone is always shouting, “We want MORE leads.”
But as we discussed in a previous article about lead quality vs. quantity, more isn’t always better. That’s why we’re big fans of getting our clients to embrace the following strategy:
- Optimize the website to attract high-quality traffic.
- Offer lots of worthwhile content that converts traffic into leads.
- Score leads appropriately—sales-qualified leads (SQLs) vs. marketing-qualified leads (MQLs).
- Serve up SQLs to sales.
- Nurture MQLs using marketing automation.
Clients who follow this proven formula will see the overall quality of leads improve and conversion rates (i.e., lead to MQL, MQL to SQL, SQL to move-in) increase as well. But keep in mind that this is a strategy to implement on a go-forward basis.
What about the existing database we inherit when we start an engagement with a client? The one that’s often filled with thousands of cold prospects? Should we dump them and move on? Or is there any gold in those cold leads? One of the most overlooked lead generation ideas for senior living lies in cold leads.
Some folks might be surprised to learn that we don’t recommend dumping a cold database. Revisiting it can be fruitful, provided you have a smart strategy to re-engage these leads.
How re-engaging your cold database serves two purposes:
- It will allow you to continue the conversation with prospects who weren’t ready to act previously but are in a better place to do so now.
- It will help you clean out your senior living CRM of truly “dead” prospects, meaning those who will never become customers. Having a clean and accurate database will also offer a more realistic view of your overall sales pipeline.
Remember, most old/cold leads haven’t received any substantive follow-up. Prospects inquire at various stages of readiness, but salespeople can only work 10 – 12 active leads at a time. Because of this, the reps tend to focus on leads closest to making a decision. All the other leads tend to receive minimal follow-up. If the lead doesn’t advance at that point, it’s labeled cold or dead (when in reality, the lead simply isn’t ready and needs more nurturing).
How does a re-engagement campaign for cold leads work?
- To re-engage your cold database, you must use marketing automation. This is an essential ingredient. Once you set up everything (like emails), you simply enroll your cold database into your re-engagement campaign. The automation will do the rest.
- To start, you’ll send a series of short surveys to gauge interest. For example, if after receiving three surveys, a particular lead does not participate in a survey or even open your emails, you can safely assume the lead is indeed cold. The automation will determine this automatically, removing the lead from your senior living CRM.
- If a lead does respond to one of the surveys, they will enter an appropriate workflow based on their answers. The workflow will continue to serve them relevant content based on survey answers and/or additional actions they take throughout the campaign.
- What people download—and when—will determine what communications they receive next. Again, this happens automatically behind the scenes, thanks to marketing automation.
Essentially, re-engaging a cold database works like any other good lead nurturing campaign. Instead of nurturing marketing-qualified leads, you’re marketing to leads that are several steps behind MQLs. The goal is to re-engage those leads and get them back on track to becoming bona fide MQLs.
At the end of the campaign, you’ll have lists with the following:
- Re-engaged leads ready for sales outreach
- Re-engaged leads ready for continued nurturing
- Truly cold leads to remove from the CRM
- “No action” prospects who can be enrolled in a monthly e-newsletter to continue re-engagement (if you so choose)
Interested in a solution that does everything we describe above?
Use our “Stay in Touch” program.
One of the best lead generation ideas for senior living, our Stay in Touch program, includes a library of ready-to-go emails, downloadable offers (complete with content for the landing pages), and email workflows associated with each offer. These will be templated so you can easily customize and add your community’s branding. You’ll also have a dedicated smart list to track conversions.
Once set up (using marketing automation, like HubSpot), everything will happen automatically. You and your team will simply monitor the activity and follow up with engaged prospects accordingly.
As for whether this program works? It sure does! Read how our Stay in Touch program turned thousands of cold leads into 2.6 million dollars in revenue for LCB Senior Living.